Join Shelby Forums Today

Thread: 1963 DragonSnake Cobra?

Images

1963 DragonSnake Cobra?

It looks like another Dragon Snake Cobra is going to be sold via Mecum in January. Their website doesn't have any more information about the car so I'm wondering what it's history is? I don't recognise this maroon one.

The blue 1962 DragonSnake was just sold through Mecum Collector Car Auctioneers 19th Annual Spring Classic Auction, May 25-29, 2006, Belvidere, IL. for $1,601,250.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mecum_dragonsnake.jpg  

Images

Re: 1963 DragonSnake Cobra?

I was told that this is not a dragonsnake in an earlier thread when I posted an old picture of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPilot
    No, it's CSX2093, the Costilow & Larson/Ed Hedrick car. Originally built as a street model, the car was later converted for drag racing. Note the wire wheels up front. All six Dragonsnakes came with mag wheels on all four corners.

For more on this Cobra, the most successful of the independent drag cars, go to http://www.shelbyford.com/independents.html. When Ed Hedrick raced it, be took home the 1967 NHRA national points championship. For more from Ed, see http://www.shelbyford.com/hedrick.html

67 GT500 #2100 owned since 87 (inboards) Factory red 4-speed car, Z serial numbered
    69 Mustang GT convertible, Acapulco blue
    68 Mercury Cougar XR7/GT S-code
    66 Mustang GT Fastback 347 5-speed owned since 84
    65 Mercury Cyclone
    64 Mercury Cyclone

Images

This could prove to be somewhat interesting. Shelby American production
    figures show only 4 factory prepared competetion "Dragonsnakes" produced.

Obviously, there was several private, independently constructed
    "Dragonsnakes as well.

It would be interesting to know if this particular one is actually a
    Shelby American produced one or a priveteer makeover.
    shlby66

Images

Exclamation Re: 1963 DragonSnake Cobra?

my money is on Dragonpilot's opinion.....

Images

Could not agree more. If anyone knows the history it is Dragonpilot. That is a pretty small circle (4 cars) I am sure he is well aware of what is what.
    1967 GT500 #2532, 1 of 10 (White, Auto, Factory A/C)
    1968 GT500KR Convertible #3784, 1 of 5 (Highland Green, White Top, Non-AC)

Images

Dragonsnakes I know about:

CSX2019 - originally converted to drag specs at SA. Original factory drag car.
    CSX2248 - Factory invoice shows all the drag race options including drag slicks. I owned this car for a long time and sold it to Carroll who sold it to Lynn. The car only lost two races in its racing career and one was due to some odd breakout rule after crossing the line first.
    CSX2357 - The Dragonsnake that my old car raced against in the '65 Winternatioals. Seconnd factory drag car.
    CSX2427 - Customer Dragonsnake. It was the yellow car that was painted that color by SA to match the tow car of the buyers.
    CSX2472 - This is the car that was started to be built into a road race car, then stored and SA finally finished for an Ed Hugas customer to somewhat strange specs.
    CSX3198 - was the customer 427 that was assembled by SA as a drag car.

CSX2093 was not a factory built drag race car. But it was converted to Dragonsnake specs early in its career and had many very important wins. The driver was Bruce Larson who raced funny cars in NHRA until into the 90's at least...

CSX2248:

Calvin
    '68 Shelby GT350 convertible #03082
    http://racecarstuff.com/

The best decriptions of the Dragonsnakes can be found at Dragonsnake - Shelby Cobra built for Drag Racing. There are 3 categories of Dragonsnakes clearly described by Ned Scudder, and accepted by Shelby enthusiasts worldwide.

Sam Pack, Ford Dealer in Dallas, has two Dragon Snakes in his collection. The one and only 427 Dragon Snake and one of the four 289s. I have pic of 427 with Carroll but can't post it.......
    Gary
    Exact 427 Carbon Fiber Cobra

Hey everyone! I realize this is an old post, but a Yahoo News bulletin tonight about a $15 million dollar cobra forced me to do some research on the subject! Recently (a few months back) I had the almighty privilege of working on a photo-shoot for DPR. In the un-named owners collection (I was told it was the worlds foremost collection of supercars) was the exact car in question! SO, I have several high-resolution, professionally taken (snapshots) of this car, "The winningest Dragonsnake of them all". I hope this helps you all!!! Personally, I cant decide between the Enzo signed by the Pope, or the F1... or the Veyron "Pur Sang" I think I would be scared to drive the MC12. The guy also had some GT40's, but sadly I did not get any shots of them....
    If you have questions, email me
    BTW, I signed up to this website just to post this...
    And the photos are copyrighted to www.patfoleyphoto.com . Please do not use them without asking permission first (I most likely will not care if you ask first!).
    Thanks,
    Patrick

Sorry, the pics did not upload....I have tried several times to upload them and every time it is giving me an error...I will try again later I guess.

OK, so because I cannot upload the shots to this website, I posted them on one of my sites... http://patrickfoley.smugmug.com/gall...24297521_RqeUk
    If anyone here is interested...check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
    Sam Pack, Ford Dealer in Dallas, has two Dragon Snakes in his collection. The one and only 427 Dragon Snake and one of the four 289s. I have pic of 427 with Carroll but can't post it.......
    Is he sure it's the real. CSX3198, and not just the ID plate. I bought CSX3198 from Les Newell in 1978. Gave it to Eric Ball in 1980, with a Pantera and a reproduction 427 Cobra, done by Jim Kelsey, co owner of Connecticut Coach, Wallingford CT, as a partial down payment for his resort, Faro Blanco Marine Resort, Marathon Fl. Keys. He sold it the next day to Ray Brown, a very wealthy man from TX. Ray had it DRIVEN to TX from the Keys. The driver put it in a pine tree. Twisted like a pretzel. I knew Kelsey, Ball and Brown years after the Cobra crash. Kelsey never owned the real one. What brings this up is a email I received from someone who knew the history of the car asking me if this was mine http://www.shelbyford.com/reg3198.html Other then a few dates and the spelling of my name, it's correct until I sold it, then it's all bogus. Can anyone help solve this? Thanks...john

There are some interesting pics and info about the Dragonsnakes at this site.
    http://www.shelbycsxinfo.com/Other/dragonsnakes.html

Quote Originally Posted by CSX 4995 View Post
    There are some interesting pics and info about the Dragonsnakes at this site.
    http://www.shelbycsxinfo.com/Other/dragonsnakes.html
    Yes, it has the same information on the 427 Dragonsnake as the one I was sent. Incorrect. Thanks anyway

CSX2019 resides at the Shelby American Collection near Boulder, CO.

Thread Information